Sometimes comfort food wins out over health food. BUT, you don’t have to totally give in to all the unhealthy fats that often come with comfort food. This recipe takes a classic comfort food and replaces the fatty bacon with the protein packed veggie burger patty from The Redheads. Filled with healthy fats, protein, and love, the veggie burger is a great substitute so you don’t have to feel guilty when you just have to have that twice baked potato!
- 4 large Organic Russet Potatoes
- 2 patties The Redheads Veggie Burgers
- 1/2 cup Sharp Cheddar to make this vegan, use 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Organic Butter or Soy Margarine *optional
- 4 Tbsp Organic Sour Cream *optional, leave off for vegan
- 1 pinch Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 organic green onions sliced and separated
- Preheat oven to 425F
- Wash potatoes and poke each one with a fork 5 times.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 minutes or until soft. Once soft, remove from oven and let cool.
- As Potatoes are cooling, in pan, sautee two veggie burger patties on medium heat (no oil needed). Cook on each side for 7 minutes. As burger browns, break up patty into crumbles and let brown for another 5 minutes or so while tossing. Set aside.
- Cut cooled Potato about 3/4 of the way through long ways. Use a fork to lightly mash up potato inside and put 1TBSP of butter on top of each potato. Sprinkle a tad of salt and pepper and lightly mash insides with butter, s&p, half the cheese and half the green onions (for extra creamy potatoes, you can remove the flesh and use a hand mixer to blend the potato, butter, s&p, half the cheese, and half the green onions. then return blended potato back to skins).
- Add half of each crumbled veggie burger patty on top of baked potato. Top with remaining cheese and green onions and return potatoes to the oven until cheese is melted.
- Once cheese is melted, remove from oven and top each potato with a dab of sour cream…whalah! Steamy yummy potato!
*Add steamed broccoli or spinach for added veggie power or fresh diced basil! Sub The Redheads veggie burger with the black bean burger and add salsa to this dish to make it a bit more south of the border!
Share this Recipe